Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Take Cover!

We've been having a pretty serious Monsoon here. Lots of rain. I had to move quickly and try to cover the final section, the middle.
That way I can clear out the second building and start finishing it out.

I've run out of time as I need to get this completed before the end of summer. So I decided to build the middle with regular wood from the big box store. It saved lots of time plus it's straighter than pallet wood. I'll probably still face everything with pallet wood to make it match, but for now, the sub-structure is regular wood.

Here, I'm starting to lay down the tin on the framework. I'm hoping to reclaim the water for other uses which is why I chose to go with a tin roof. Much more expensive, but I think it will serve me better in the long run.

Over the top of the kiln, I used metal runners from an old shed we had. That way, if it gets too warm, it won't catch on fire!

This is the rest of the tin in place over the kiln. All in all, there were only two small leaks due to my poor aim with the drill. Easily fixed with waterproof caulk.

I created the front facia with pallet wood so it would match the other two buildings. The middle roof also overlaps the other two buildings so the water sheds down the sides.

Oddly enough, many pallets came "branded" with a name or location or some other cryptic lettering/numbers. I decided early on to set these pieces aside to highlight them later. They now adorn the part of the roof that protects Toadlily Cafe.

I have to admit that there was a lot of fortuitous serendipity with regard to the brands. For instance, here are the numbers to Jill's gallery, Gallery 113.

These are the month and day for my birthday!

And finally, what better justification that I'm on the right track with all of this... This was truly an authentic brand. I had no idea.

If you have any questions about all of this, I'd be happy to share what I've learned.
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment